Tuesday, April 15, 2008

It is Official

It is official!!! My son is now an athlete. Thus begins the dilema of what type of sports parent I want to be to my children. I have put off thinking about it seriously for many years now. Long before I ever had children I would wonder what kind of sports parent I would be. Would I be the Jerk who yells at his kid from the sideline, the Quiet one there to be supportive, the Coach on the field being the example, the Nag who is constantly asking for more playing time for my child who does not deserve more playing time. I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what I want, it is what my children want. In my chosen profession as a coordinator for youth sports activities I see it all and I do not like where youth sports is headed if there is not a change in the mentality of parents. I am sorry but your kid is not the next Michael Jordan, Alex Rodriguez or Tiger Woods. He might have hit a home run off another 7yr old but in 5 years that kid is going to be 6' 5" 210lbs and your kid will still be 5'8" 165lbs and it wont even be close. So what if he scored 32 in basketball game or that their team won Hoopfest. Sports is about learning leadership, exercise, teamwork and fun. Watching Trey and the joy as he got ready for his first soccer practice/game was priceless. Seeing him grab his size three ball, wearing his matching shoes and shorts and run and join the group will never be able to erased from my memory. I am greatful that I can be father and watch my children grow and learn to become good citizens and friends to those they meet. I look forward to being there for Trey in any fashion he would have me throughout his athletic career, however long it will be.

2 comments:

Woodrich Family said...

What an adventure it's going to be! Thanks for being a great dad!

Aston said...

Good perspective. Of course, you do get to see the worst of people in this respect. I'm jealous you get to experience this now... and anxious for my (whoops, Tyler's) time.
I'll try to check into "what's going on in your head" from time to time.
Dan